Course textbook fee
If you use no-cost educational resources in your course, you can apply to have the course textbook fee applied to your class. The fee is $10 paid by each student enrolled in the class. 90 percent of the fee goes to your department, and the remaining 10 percent supports the Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative.
Instructors who are awarded grants from the Open/Alternative Textbook Initiative automatically qualify for the course textbook fee.
2021 - 2022 application deadlines
- Apply by Friday, September 3, 2021 for a Spring 2022 course fee
- Apply by Friday, February 4, 2022 for a Summer/Fall 2022 course fee
Application and requirements
The fee can be applied to one or multiple sections of the same course. A proposed course may include any of the following or a combination:
- An existing open access textbook
- Library resources
- High quality open educational resources (OER)
- Multimedia resources (e.g., audio, video, TedTalks, YouTube videos, Wikimedia Commons)
- Faculty-authored materials (e.g., websites, PDFs, educational presentation slides, lecture videos)
Materials not eligible for the fee include:
- commercial e-text versions of existing print resources
- textbook rentals